Until I start my job after the holidays I have been spending my time doing a number of things. My usual tasks take place before noon (coffee, emails, gym) and then I have the rest of the day to go about as I please. Since I pretty much decided this could be the last time in my life (except maybe maternity leave and retirement but even in those cases I’ll either be old or have a tiny human to look after) where I have 100% noncommittal, guilt free, overly indulgent time for ME. I can sleep in till noon, (Sidenote: I HATE sleeping past 9am. I like to get my day started and this makes me a bit of a freak, I know. I’m just saying if I wanted to, I could.) eat Taco Bell 4 times in one day and shop online for hours on end. It’s just a really beautiful feeling and I encourage anyone who has the opportunity to take 4-6 weeks off and travel, cook, read or whatever gets you excited to be alive to do so. I don’t think you’ll ever look back regretfully and think, “whoa..shoulda never taken some down time to do everything I love”. Nope, ya won’t.
With that, I decided to make a list of my top 5 favorite “time wasting” websites. I use the term “time wasting” loosely as I get real idea’s and inspiration from all the these places just don’t expect to see them in a NY Times list or something..well maybe if the people over the Times have impeccable taste like me.
1. minted.com- I love, love, LOVE stationery. I believe very strongly that people don’t appreciate hand-written gestures like they should and I get great joy from sending a thank-you or just a “Hello!-I-was-thinking-of-you” note. This website allows you to design and personalize all sorts of cards and stationery.
2. Stumbleupon.com- You choose topics that are most interesting to you (art, fashion, travel, books, technology, there are literally dozens) and then you “stumble” through various websites that are generated based on your topics you choose. The more you click on the thumbs up or thumbs down icon the more stumbleupon recognizes what content you like and don’t like. I have found some the of coolest shit EVER this way.
3. Pinterest.com- An online inspiration board that allows you to “pin” things from places to animals. It is so addictive and my description cannot do it justice. Just go sign up. Now.
4. Amazon.com- This is obviously a well-known website but they have anything you could ever want. Need an Ipod? Boom. Some winter boots? Done. A collectible china bowl that you broke and are now trying to replace before your mom finds out? Found. This website is legit for getting what you need.
5. Hellogiggles.com- An awesome website that has a little something for all women whether your single in L.A to a mom in Wisconsin. There are a ton of contributors including Mindy Kaling and Zoey Deschannel.
Now go on and check em’ if you didn’t half-way through this post!